Wednesday, January 23, 2013

.you can't do everything.

In my day to day life, I do alot.

I dance, I paint, I make jewelry and perfume, I do graphic design and illustration, and I run Raqs Bohéme. On top of all that I attempt to maintain my personal relationships - my husband, family, and close friends; which is not so easy as I'm a bit of a hermit and tend to leave little enough time for it. I'm also a bit of a workaholic and have an extremely difficult time relaxing in a non-productive kind of way - even while I'm watching a movie at home with my husband my fingers are itching to do something, a habit that absolutely drives him mad.

In the meantime there are a lot of things I'd like to do that I simply do not have time for - rock climbing, aerial dance, and writing to name a few. It's not that I can't do those things - it's just that there's no time; and certainly no time to devote to become accomplished in any of them.

And that's the thing - I do believe that everyone is capable of anything. I also believe that people have different natural talents and gifts which will make some activities easier than others. Personally, I can neither bake nor knit. Something about those particular activities is extremely difficult for me. I could probably get better if I spent a massive amount of time working on it - but I'd rather spend that time occupied in more natural and less frustrating activities for myself.

You can be and do whatever you want to - so long as you're willing to put the adequate amount of time and effort into becoming good at that thing, and those challenges are different for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment