Sunday, March 24, 2013

.beginning beekeeping pt.2.

Last Sunday (yes a week ago - what do you want I'm very very busy and sleepy) I had my second segment of Beginning Beekeeping with the Northeastern Kansas Beekeeping Association.  Like the first segment, it was terribly interesting, very well put together and I learned a lot.
Like how I learned that there is absolutely no way I have enough time to take care of bees.
And even if I did, I still have nowhere to put them.

Most of the class was focused on bee diseases and pests and Pest Management - not eradication, management. Though sometimes pest management with bees means eradicating your bees - otherwise known as burning your hives, bees and all.
Though sometimes it just means covering your bees with powdered sugar, which sounds hilarious.

I also came to the conclusion that if anyone was ever thinking about keeping bees that it's really imperative that they take a class first. I've read a lot about bees in the last two months, subscribed to blogs and podcasts - and I learned way more in these classes than I ever would have managed to take in on my own. And I made beekeeper contacts to pester when I come up with more silly questions.

Now if I can just find a beekeeper who will sell me their winter die-off bees, I'd really be on a roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment