Tuesday, October 16, 2012

.more layers.

I'm obsessing about layers again.
(I'm also obsessing about homemade essential oil perfumes but that's something else entirely....kind of.)

This past weekend I was privy and party to a whole host of really fantastic performances. Burlesque, juggling, stand-up..... Really Fantastic Performances.
Not something that always happens.
And as I was watching everything, between changing costumes, breathing through my asthma, and touching up makeup, I was seeing some....themes.
Layer themes.

I go on a lot about dancing and cake and layers - the dancing is the cake. The costuming is the icing. And as awesome as icing is, it's really not so awesome unless it's on a really awesome cake. But most awesome cakes are made of multiple layers of cake, usually with fantastic stuff in between the layers.
And the same exact thing applies to performances.

• You've got your technique - the technical aspect of what your doing.
• Then there's choreography (or improv, whatever you prefer), which is interrelated with musicality.
• Then there's expression - your stage presence, the story you're telling, the mood your setting.
• Then you've got costuming - which relates directly to your music, technique and story. Enhances it, sets a visual tone before the movement begins.
• And, if your lucky - there's lighting and backdrop. And that gets into more color theory.

• And of course, let's not forget the physical condition of your body.

And now I'm craving cake...

No comments:

Post a Comment