Wednesday, January 7, 2015

.time sink.

Art takes time.
I think a lot of people who don't create art don't realize that - it's very easy to look at a finished piece and imagining it springing out of the creators mind into existence.
But I, as a creator, forget it quite often as well.

My plan yesterday was to leave work, go home and finish inking "The Sun", and get a little dance practice in before going to bed.

By the time I finished inking it was 9:30 and my whole evening had disappeared down an art rabbit-hole, leaving me no time for dance practice as my day job has me set for Old Man Bedtime. In short, what I thought was going to be a 2 hour ink job ended up being 5. Evening burned up.
No dance time for me.

There's a Work/Work/Life balance that I've been struggling with more lately than I have since college really - ever since I started this new job as Art Director, rather than Artist. Longer hours, less free time during the day, and longer hours. Plus shiny new kinds of emotional stress. Despite what some think - art is not easy. Art is hard. Art is work. Continuous ongoing work with no retirement plan.

Ideally, I'd like to be self employed someday. With that in mind, there's this:
 
And patronage comes with Prizes!

Of course I'm ever so grateful for all and any support. And patronage can be cancelled at any time, so if you only want to make a one time donation, you can cancel and only pay for the first month. Patronage of any kind will also give you access to Patreon Exclusive content - videos, sketchbook drawings, and minute rants on on being an Artist and Performer in the Midwest.
And even if you can't donate - spread the word!
Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment