Wednesday, July 29, 2015

.aerial.

On Monday I went to my second of three in a series of 7 beginning aerial dance classes.

Ok, that got away from me.

I signed up for 7 classes. Went to the first one, which was amazing and hard and emotional. I missed the second class - well, I went but quickly discovered that the arm/back injury I'd done to myself over the weekend was much much worse than I had thought, and was self-forced to leave because if you are physically unable to pull yourself up, there's not much you can do but sit and watch everyone else do the work.

This past Monday I finally got back to class. It was hard, but not quite as hard as week 1 by a smidgen. And today I'm not hurting nearly as much as I was this same time two weeks ago. I managed a double foot lock, and worked through cheater hip keys on both sides with much better results. I still need All The Work on my triceps and lats though.

In any case - I've missed aerial. I danced with her briefly several years ago, and dropped it to better work on my arm and back strength because I was struggling so much with that one aspect; except I didn't work on my arm and back strength - and really my best motivator to work on this outside of class is going to be doing better in class. Aerial is hard. Harder than maybe anything else I've ever been this interested in doing, and I think the hard-ness of it is part of why I love it so much. It does not come naturally to me. There's a fear aspect to conquer too - not performance fear, this is straight out "I'm going to fall on my face" fear.
And that studio is one of the emotionally safest places in the world for me.

So onward...

No comments:

Post a Comment