Thursday, July 30, 2015

.field notes.

I first came across Field Notebooks in July of 2013 when I was looking for a pocket size dance journal, despite the fact that none of my dance practice pants had pockets. But I wanted something portable and a little flexible and lightweight.
these are prettier on the back

I found Field Notes.

This was when the Nigh Sky Edition was out, and being a Science Groupie with a love of Astronomy, I immediately bought 3 packs (the "legal" limit) and began using them immediately. The use of them quickly expanded from dance journaling into note taking on everything that was going on in my life - grocery lists, to do lists, quotes from the radio, notes on ideas and projects, and on and on. It's a bit of a problem, now that I'm going through a notebook every 2-3 weeks, except that I can look back to any week in the last year and know exactly what I was doing on a given day - which is weird and also kind of neat.

I finally gave up all pretense just before the Two Rivers edition came out this past spring and got a subscription. Now, I'm not exclusive with Field Notes - in my stock of notebooks ready to be used I have Baron Fig, Scout Books, and a few other smaller brands that I've picked up on whims and also a dash of hoarding-type compulsion. (My partner tolerates me to hoarding 2 things - plants and books, and these are kind of books, and also very small.)

I have the graph paper all the way on the left, not that you can tell.
Along with my first subscription came a few of the staple Kraft notebooks that I have never been interested in (because the covers are boring) but I put them away in my stash figuring they were good for Modifications, if nothing else.

And then I came across this wine with this beautiful paper sleeve, and because I love my notebooks, and I love my wine, and the modification took shape in my brain.


Scissors and spray glue and another wrapper from a white, and a press test from my work, and voila!

Curious Beasts, Fushia White, & a press test
I used medical tape to secure the wrap, because Reasons.

...and I need more wine.
Much better now. I've been wanting a red field notebook for ages. Now I have the best one ever. And it's covered with monsters and skeletons!

No comments:

Post a Comment