Saturday, June 9, 2012

.segway.

Having been gluten free for over three years now, I've reached a point in my kitchen experiments where recipes come in three categories:
  1. foods that are naturally gluten free (unless you're being stupid about it), 
  2. foods that can be gluten free with minor modifications, 
  3. and alternate reality recipes which require 12 kinds of flour and I refuse to touch with a ten foot pole.
This is coming up because I'm home with family and my cousin asked if I'd seen all the gluten-free recipes on Pinterest, and was surprised that I really don't give a shit. I think of whatever it is I'm wanting to make, I find a recipe, I modify the recipe if I have to and if the modification will involve more than three types of flour*, eff it - surely there's a box of frozen something somewhere I can use in the meantime. Because it's food, and I'm not a baker.
And I really don't bake. My mom makes me homemade gluten free cake once or twice a year, and there's La Petite Rouge for all of my cupcake cravings, and Udi's for toast, and Amy's for pizza.
Beyond that....eh.
Because it's not that hard, once you get used to it.** Because you don't need it, and there are so many other wonderful things that I'd be so much more sad if I had to give up.
Like mangos. And avocado. And ice cream. And wine.
Srsly.

But srsly, you people who are going gluten free to lose weight...

*I use soy, buckwheat and almond flour as flavor dictates.
**Also, this tumblr is my favoritest tumblr OF ALL TIME! This is what it's like IN MY BRAIN. As far as gluten is concerned anyway...

No comments:

Post a Comment