Monday, August 8, 2011

.Dance.Challenge.August.

It seems to be crazy video day!

A few notes before you watch - the backlighting is horrible. Just ignore it. Also, my dining room is not tidy and perfect - ignore it. As "Beginning to Work on a Piece" videos, I'm not horribly dissappointed, but I'm not critiquing anything, and if it were up to me, I would not continue to work on certain ones. That being said, these are essentially pre-practice videos, and improv to boot. I very rarely choreograph, and especially not when I'm still getting to know a song. Also, I had to use my laptop to record as the digital camera has gone missing (that's what I get for cleaning anything).
However it's up to you, not me, and it's up to your YouTube "likes" - so Go! Like Things!

Also, still taking donations, if you're enjoying yourself of course!


















Rules Refresher:
Here's the deal - You suggest songs, I dance to the first minute of them, and post them on YouTube and here in a week. You get to pick what I dance to! Voting commences for five days. Then I'll dance to the entirety of the song with the most votes. Voting will be done via "Like" clicks on YouTube.

Rules:

  • I'm using the first 5 song suggestions only. If you don't get yours submitted in time, never fear - should this work out without making my head explode, I'll be repeating it next month.
  • Songs may not be sexually explicit. I'm not dancing to the Big Butt song, or whatever else.
  • Songs also have to be available on iTunes, since I don't have a ton of free time to be hunting down obscure recordings of  Tatil Shibak.
  • I reserve the right to add new rules as necessary, since this is a big experiment - but I promise not to be unreasonable.

6 comments:

  1. These dance clips are delightful! Ah ... I clicked "Like" on all of them, over on YouTube, because I habitually do that for things I like, and I did like all of these. I think my favorites are #1 and #5, overall.

    #1 has beautiful flowing motion like seaweed underwater. If you finish this one, I think it would look good in a costume of blues and greens with long fringe, ribbons, rag skirt or whatever you might have that will pick up that slow, swaying motion.

    #2 is nice and lively, but the motion isn't as well matched to the music as some other clips are. I like the twirls. This would look good with a tassel belt, or something to show the snaps and twirls.

    #3 has the best attitude, lots of fun. Maybe a coin belt to accent the motion, but there's so much good chest action here that I'd look for a decorated top to draw attention upwards.

    #4 excels in depth, using different positions and orientation. It would look good with scarves or fringe to expand the motions through costuming.

    #5 has very rich, undulated motion punctuated by sharper accents. This is another one, like #1, where the moves suit the music quite well. I think I'd go with a combination of tassels and fringe to accent the different types of motion.

    On the whole, this was a fascinating set of video clips to watch. They show off a bunch of different things that you can do. I shall now go pimp this so more folks can find it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here via ysabetwordsmith.

    You are awesome and inspiring. Thanks for sharing your talent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for doing this; it's fascinating. I don't have the experience or education to describe why I like specific videos, but they are lovely. I did post a link from my journal, so I hope a few people will come by and watch.

    I hope I may say without being rude or creepy, you have the most amazingly sinuous arms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not rude or creepy at all Janet, and really nice to hear on top! Thankyou!

    ReplyDelete